Category Archives: Cum Laude Speaker

Williston Welcomes Dr. Cherie Holmes ’75 as Cum Laude Speaker

Dr. Cherie Holmes ’75

The Williston Northampton School is pleased to welcome former trustee Dr. Cherie Holmes ’75 as this year’s speaker at its Cum Laude inducation ceremony on January 5, 2018. Dr. Holmes is a practicing orthopedic surgeon who serves as Medical Director for Acute Care Services at Cheshire Medical Center/Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Keene, NH.

Dr. Holmes received her B.A. in English Language and Literature from Dartmouth College. After earning her M.D. at Georgetown University School of Medicine, she completed her residency in Orthopedic Surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Program.

She completed further fellowship training in both Orthopedic Traumatology and Sports Medicine and practiced for four years with the U.S. Navy, including seven months in the Persian Gulf during the first Gulf War, as well as in private practice and in Keene. More recently she earned her M.S. in Healthcare Management from the Harvard School of Public Health.

In addition to her membership within several orthopedic associations, Dr. Holmes is a member of the American College of Physician Executives, the American College of Healthcare Executives, and the Board of Governors for Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

During her three years at the Williston Northampton School, Dr. Holmes was member of the soccer and softball teams, and the science club. She was recipient of the Williams College Book Prize and the Martin Tananbaum Prize and was a member of the Cum Laude Society.

The Cum Laude Society, founded in 1906 and modeled after Phi Beta Kappa, honors scholastic achievement in secondary scholars. The society has over 350 chapters, the majority of which are in independent schools. In 1921, Williston Academy became a member of the society, followed by Northampton School for Girls in 1951. In 1971, a new charter was created for the Williston Northampton School.

Dr. Holmes served on the Board of Trustees for the Williston Northampton School from 1989 to 1994.