In-depth coverage of Williston boys varsity hockey

Williston’s Prayers Answered—Wildcats Beat Saints, 7-2; Drops Decision to the Doors 

Seniors Tommy Harty and Jake Sacratini both had four-point nights on Wednesday as they helped lead Williston past Canterbury with a hat trick and an assist and a goal and a playmaker, respectively.  Williston played a complete game in all zones of the ice and took a decisive, 7-2 victory. 

Sacratini got on the board early when a hard forecheck by Harty forced a Canterbury defenseman to cough make an errant pass from the corner of the defensive zone to an awaiting Sacratini who intercepted the pass at the hash marks and walked in beating Cal Skwara on the far post.  Harty got his first goal of the night on the power play when Sacratini got the puck on the halfwall in the Canterbury zone, touched a pass to Tyler Varin who got the puck to the other half-wall to Will Tripp.  Tripp then found a wide open Harty, who has set up residence in the high slot on power plays, and who drilled a one-timer past Skwara.  Canterbury got a goal late in the period to get it within one. 

In the second, Williston got on a role.  The first goal came when Charlie Monteith worked a puck up the wall to d-man, Mitch Hansen, who let a blast go that was saved by Skwara but that was batted in by Matt Pimental from his belly.  Shaul Mitton got the fourth Williston goal off a sweet draw from Ryan Deschamps that landed right on his stick.  The senior winger let the howitzer go that was deflected by a Canterbury d, past Skwara.  Harty got his second of the game on the power play when Sacratini again, got the puck from Varin who let one fly from the point.  (He will be leading a youth hockey clinic on shooting in the coming weeks.  Ask him about it.)  The rebound bounced onto Harty’s stick and while the initial shot was blocked, he gathered his own rebound and tucked in a nifty backhand.  The period would end with Williston up, 5-1. 

Alex Latkovski put the ‘Cats up 6-1 when Harty won a draw to the corner, put sustained pressure on the Canterbury defenseman who tried to make a pass to his d-partner.  Latkovski intercepted the pass on the near post, corralled the puck to the front of the net and, with his long reach, beat Skwara on the far post.  Williston got their final goal of the game when Canterbury drove into the Williston zone on the power play and coughed up the puck near Williston goalie, Emile Savoie.  Will Tripp cleared the puck to Sacratini in the slot and the speedy winger cruised into the Canterbury zone and hit Harty with a backhand saucer pass that the captain buried garnering him the hat trick for the afternoon.  Canterbury would score with 1.4 seconds left but Williston took the win.  Savoie earned the win kicking out 39 saves.  The game puck went to Harty for his four-point night. 

On Friday night, Williston traveled up Route 91 to Deerfield for an evening soiree with the Green Doors.  The game was riddled with penalties and Williston took the loss, dropping the contest, 6-2.   

Deerfield came out flying at the opening of the first period stirring their already raucous crowd into a frenzy and scoring just a minute into the game.  Williston answered ten minutes later when Brandon Barrett knocked a puck from the side of the Deerfield net to Charlie Monteith behind the net.  Monteith drove to the opposite corner and slipped a puck to the slot where Matt Pimental took one-timer that beat Deerfield goalie, Justin Prete, over the glove.  The period ended, 1-1. 

In the second, Williston went up 2-1 when Varin sent a backhand pass from his own zone to sophomore Ryan Deschamps at the Deerfield blueline.  Deschamps drove to the net with Connor Hagness streaking to the post.  Deschamps tried to make the pass but it was gathered in the gut by the sprawling Deerfield d-man.  With poise, Deschamps collected the puck and put a soft backhander over the glove of Prete.  The fire was on the mountain and the Wildcats were feeling good about the direction they were headed.  However, a number of penalties cost the Wildcats even strength opportunities and, ultimately, the game, losing 6-2. 

The game was the inaugural game of the Pioneer Valley Prep Cup, a game-by-game “tournament” between Pioneer Valley schools Deerfield, Northfield Mount Herman, and Williston.  The format will be as follows: whatever school possesses the cup when two of the three teams play, the cup will be on the line.  Since Deerfield won the game, they now possess the cup until next year when they play NMH early in the season.  It is possible that the cup could be pass through the three teams during one season if, every time the cup is up for grabs, the other team wins.   

Williston had the weekend off and will travel to Albany Academy on Wednesday afternoon for a four o’clock tilt.   


Williston Ties #7 Ranked Loomis, 5-5 

Last Wednesday, Williston had a date with Loomis Chaffee in South Windsor, and just when the Wildcats thought that the Pelicans were going to pick up the check, an LC forward tied the game with just 1:48 remaining in the game.  A five-minute overtime would be for naught and both clubs would leave the rink with one point apiece forcing both clubs to go Dutch. 

Williston got on the board on the power play at the 5:46 mark of the first period when Shaul Mitton made a pass to the top of the umbrella that was collected by Zac Gmerek.  Gmerek made a quick pass to the right side of the ice to Connor Hagness, perched on the top of the face off dot, who let a one-timer go that was tipped in by Ryan Deschamps to put the Wildcats up 1-0.  Then, six-and-a-half minutes later, Alex Latkovski put hard pressure on a Loomis player along the boards forcing the puck to squeak out to the blue line to Tommy Harty who drove hard to the net and let the howitzer go from the slot beating Loomis goalie, Kyle Chauvette, over the glove.  Williston took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission. 

Loomis came out quickly in the second scoring two goals nine seconds apart.  Will Tripp put the ‘Cats up 3-2 when he made a pass to Brandon Barrett skating into the Loomis zone.  Barrett drove to the corner and made a nice back-pass to Tripp who let a shot go that was deflected into the air and tipped in by a Pelican player.  Loomis got two more goals in the period to go up 4-3. 

In the third, Tommy Harty skated into the Loomis end with Tripp at his heels.  Harty dropped the puck to Tripp and got the puck back to Harty who drove to the net causing an LC defenseman to slide across the crease leaving a wide-open Jake Sacratini charging to the far post.  Harty slid a slick pass to number nine who buried the puck past Chauvette.  Then, again on the power play, Matt Pimental won the draw back to Gmerek who let a shot go that was blocked but a serendipitous puck with eyes glided neatly onto Tyler Varin’s stick; the assistant captain let a Rhode Island rocket go from the point that was deflected by another Ocean State son, Pimental, putting the Wildcats up 5-4.  Williston tried to weather the storm but was unable to as Loomis tied the game at the end of the period.  Overtime proved unproductive for both clubs.  So, at the end of the game when all the cards were down, there was just the scratched up ice left and the broken dreams of a victory that was lost.  

Williston goalie Emile Savoie made a whopping 56 saves earning the tie. 

The Wildcats took a hiatus from campus this weekend as the entire school went on mid-winter recess.  Williston is back at it on Wednesday as they welcome the Hoggers of Northfield Mount Herman to town for a 2:45 tilt.  Excellent seats are still available.  We hope to see you there.   

Wildcats Right the Ship, Beat Westy 5-2 

At his 25th Reunion, Williston winger Alex Latkovski could have the greatest story ever told when he recounts his day against the Westminster Martlets on Monday, February 4, 2020.  The game saw the junior from Westmount, Quebec figure into all five of Williston’s goals as he scored a hat trick and accounted for two helpers.  The win helped Williston get off the skids, having lost their previous three.

Williston got on the board at the 5:06 mark of the period when junior defenseman Will Tripp received a pass from Jake Sacratini as he crossed over the Martlet blueline.  Tripp drove to the net and hit captain Tommy Harty driving to the far post.  Westminster goalie Greyson Pane made the save and let a rebound fall a few feet above the crease where Sacratini took a swipe at the puck that bounced off some shin pads and landed on a hard-cutting Latkovski’s stick who buried the rebound.  Latkovski netted his second of the game when he forced a turnover at his own blueline and, like a steam locomotive rolling down the track, he skated hard, pulling away from the Westy defensemen, faked a forehand shot and let a buttery backhand go that many-a-goalie would have struggled with.  Williston took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission.

In the second, Latkovski got into the giving business when a draw from Harty in the offensive zone was bobbled by a few Westy forwards and corralled by number nineteen who was able to get the puck toward the net.  Sacratini lay in wait on the side of the goal and banked a shot off the inside pad of Pane, putting the ‘Cats up 3-0.  Westy would get a goal with a little under two minutes remaining in the period.

In the third, Westminster made it 3-2 just five minutes into the period.  However, six minutes later and on the power play Tyler Varin received a pass from Sacratini in the middle of the ice; Varin quickly worked the puck to Tripp on the right hash mark who then made a quick pass to Harty cutting into the slot.  Harty let a low blast go that was deflected by Latkovski for the hat trick.  The final nail in the coffin came when d-man Hunter Wilson scooted a puck up to the half wall to Latkovski who chipped the puck into the neutral zone where Sacratini gathered it and buried a blue-line shot into a goalie-less net sealing the deal, 5-2.

Tonight, there were two game pucks given.  The first to Emile Savoie who earned his second win of the season and who played well, making 29 saves.  The other game puck went to Latkovski and his five-point night.

Williston has a quick turnaround playing the Loomis Chaffee Pelicans in Windsor, CT on Wednesday afternoon at 4:30.  Williston hasn’t beaten their neighbors to the south in quite some time and look to upend a solid 2019-2020 Loomis campaign.

Williston Hockey Helps Take Care of Alzheimer’s; Can’t Take Care of Gunnery   


On Saturday night, the Williston hockey teamed donned special Alzheimer’s-themed purple, green, and white jerseys and socks in their “Alzheimer’s Awareness Game” to raise money to combat this tragic disease and provide money for continued research for a cure.  The cause hits close to him with a number of players and coaches who have witnessed first-hand the disease and its effects on loved ones.  The Williston hockey team, lead by Coach Cunha’s tireless work in the weeks and days leading up to the evening, collected donations from the entire Williston community including classmates, faculty, and alumni.  Totals are still being calculated as the donations poured in online with some still on the way.  While the final score did not fall in Williston’s favor, on this night, there were bigger winners—those affected by Alzheimer’s and those who love and care for them.


Williston got behind the eight-ball early when Gunnery scored just thirty-nine seconds into the game.  Down, but not out, the Wildcats traded blows with the Highlander team until the 10:08 mark when Alex Latkovski, along the right wall of the Gunnery zone, got a stick on the puck that squeaked to Jake Sacratini at the right circle; he made a pass tZac Gmerek who let a low rocket go that a fortuitous Sacratini, driving to the net, was able to tip in from just below the inside hash marks of the slot.  The period ended, 1-1.   

Both teams continued to go back and forth until the middle of the second when Connor Hagness picked up an errant puck on the left half wall of the Williston zone, skated into the neutral zone, making his way to the right wing.  Hagness then drove outside to the right circle’s hash marks and made a sweet drop pass to a just-getting-over-the-flu-but-he-don’t-care Shaul Mitton who let a right-handed snap shot go that found the near corner of the goal beating Gunnery goalie, Dan Zajkowski.  While Shaul had missed the last week, he sure didn’t feel like a stranger at the 9:37 mark of the period as he was mobbed by his mates.  Then, just six minutes later, sloppy neutral zone play by Gunnery gave the Wildcats a 3-1 as Tommy Harty drove down the ice, left of center, made a back-pass to Sacratini who drove to the net and hit Latkovski who was driving to the far post with a soft backhander that was promptly buried and put the ‘Cats up 3-1.  However, with one-second left and on the power play, Gunnery pulled within one. 

Gunnery would take advantage of a breakdown in the defensive zone in the third period and tie the game. Williston had countless opportunities but could not pull ahead.  The game headed to overtime and Gunnery won it at the 1:40 mark.  

The entire Williston hockey team would like to thank everyone who supported the Alzheimer’s Awareness night.  It was a tremendous show of good will and community and hopefully can help to lead to a cure of this horrible disease.   

Williston head’s to the greatest state in the Union—New York—on Wednesday to take on the streaking Millbrook Mustangs at 4:30. See you on the road. 

Williston Wins Two, Loses Two  

Williston took a two-game winning streak into its away game against Worcester last Wednesday and extended it to three by defeating the Highlanders, 9-3.  

The first period saw both clubs try to feel each other out with a number of scoring opportunities but alas, neither team ripped the twine.  

In the second period, however, Williston came out guns blazing getting on the board at the 13:23 mark of the period when Will Tripp made an in-zone, rink-wide pass to Tommy Harty who made a back diagonal pass to Jake Sacratini flying down the slot.  The Montreal-native buried the shot between the Worcester goalie’s pads.  Williston’s second goal came when Tyler Varin took a shot from the left hash marks that the goalie gloved down high but could not control; the puck dropped to his feet and Alex Latkovski tapped in the rebound.  Connor Hagness netted the third goal of the game when Zach Gmerek put the puck into the left corner and Shaul Mitton zipped a pass cross-crease to a patient Connor Hagness.   

Worcester got on the board at the 4:17 mark but Williston answered two minutes later while short handed when Tripp broke out of the Worcester zone and flew down the left-hand boards.  Mitton streaked toward the net and Tommy Harty was the high man on the drive.  Tripp made a backdiagonal pass to number eight who made a quick pass back to Tripp who then banked a shot off the goalie’s stick for their fourth goal of the game.  Latkovski got his second of the game when he stepped out of the penalty box, took a pass from Roscoe Eade from the defensive zone and showed how you stick handle in a phone booth by driving toward the net and putting a backhander into the net from the goal crease.  It was a nifty goal that put the Wildcats up 5-1. 

In the third, Tommy Harty scored an unassisted goal when he collected an errant puck at the blueline and buried a shot past the Worcester goalie from the hash marks.  Brandon Barrett got his first of the year when he got a pass in the high slot and buried the puck in an all-in-onemotion shot to the far side.  Williston would score two more times with goals from David Novotny (assisted by Sacratini) and Ryan Deschamps (assisted by Tripp and Hunter Wilson.)  The game puck when to Alex Latkovski for playing an excellent game.  Emile Savoie and Ryan Hennigan combined for the win. 

Williston traveled to Winchendon on Friday night for a 6 o’clock tilt with the Wapitis.  Williston got down early in the game and could never rebound, losing the game 6-1.  The Wildcat’s lone goal was scored off a rebound by Tommy Harty.  Latkovski and Novotny got the helpers. The box of rain continued on Saturday afternoon when Berkshire beat Williston 7-1. Down 2-0 with about 5 minutes left in the second period, the floodgates opened as the Bears scored 4 more to close out the 2nd. Connor Hagness scored for Williston, assisted by Tommy Harty. 

On Wednesday, Vermont Academy dropped by Lossone for a matinee against the Wildcats.  The game was tight early but Williston was able to pull away and take the game, 8-4.  Ryan Hennigan got his first start in net for the home team. 

Will Tripp got Williston on the board early in the period when he played the pinball wizard shooting a puck that deflected off two Vermont d-men and into the net past goalie Mason Kucenski.  Vermont answered almost immediately on a man-up deflection as Wildcat in orange and black let a shot go from the half-wall that deflected off his forwardstick and past Hennigan.  Williston answered back nearly fourteen minutes later, short-handed, when Zac Gmerek got a puck to Matt Pimental who skated into the Vermont end, dropped a pass to Ryan Deschamps and cut toward the net.  Deschamps drove to the corner and hit a wide-open Pimental in front who deflected the puck in.  Williston went into the dressing room up, 2-1. 

The Wildcats got things going early in the second when Connor Hagness got a pass from Tyler Varin and skated around and into the slot.  In the meantime, winger Alex Latkovski skated from behind the net and took a pass from the ever-moving Hagness and tucked in a nifty backhander past Kucenski. Williston made it 4-1 when Hunter Wilson busted up the right side into the VA zone and let a shot go from the corner that puzzled Kucenski, who couldn’t control the rebound as the puck landed by the near-post.  A hard-skating Pimental collected his second goal of the game.  Brandon Barrett got into the mix when Pimental won the puck in the corner, skated behind the net and made a pass through the crease that he got a stick on.  It was Barrett’s second on the year, making it 5-1.  

Williston’s sixth goal came when Connor Hagness skated in on a breakaway, made a nifty move but brought a five-iron rather than a pitching wedge to the game and wasn’t able elevate the puck; no matter, he got his own rebound, took the puck behind the net and fed Latkovski in front who buried his second of the game.  Vermont scored two-in-a-row but Williston bookended the scoring for the period when Barrett got his second goal of the game off a hard-working Richard Stefanik who won the puck behind the net and made a cross-slot pass to Barrett who buried the rebound.  Williston took a 7-3 lead into the intermission.   

Williston allowed one more goal in the third period but the Wildcats sealed the win with their eighth of the game when Latkovski made a pass from the left dot of the Vermont zone to an open Hagness who fired a laser that was blocked by Kucenski but drilled home by Deschamps camped out on the crease. 

Williston outshot Vermont 64-20 on the day.  Brandon Barrett earned the game puck and Hennigan ended the game with 16 saves.   

On Saturday the boys varsity hockey team will face off against Gunnery at 6 in an Alzheimer’s Awareness game.  Our team has been deeply affected by this disease and as such it is the focus of this year’s charitable giving. The team will wear custom-created uniforms supporting the cause and there will be a raffle to win a game jersey. There is already quite a buzz on Twitter and Instagram about the game, the cause, and the jerseys! 

If you can’t make it to the game and would like to participate in the raffle there will be a Venmo option at @WillistonNorthamptonSchool and denote ENDALZ. Tickets will be 1 ticket for $2, 3 for $5, 10 for $10, and body length for $20.  Your tickets will then be added into the raffle!  All proceeds will go to the Cure Alzheimer’s Fund at 

See you there! 

Williston Beats the Berkshire Bears, 5-2 

When the last bolt of sunshine hit the Berkshire Mountains on Saturday night, Williston headed to the dressing room after three hard-fought periods with its second win inarow and its first in Sheffield, MA since January 10th, 2009 when Williston won the contest 3-2.  This time, Williston won 5-2. 

Williston looked to get things going quickly on Saturday afternoon, and that they did scoring just a 1:04 into the game.  Williston worked the puck deep into the Berkshire zone and Berkshire attempted to clear the puck up the lefthand boards.  A fortuitous jump by d-man Hunter Wilson enabled the junior defenseman to scoop the puck off the wall and let a quick shot that Berkshire goalie, Jed Baliotti, saved with his right pad but the rebound zipped right to Connor Hagness’s stick who buried the rebound.  Wilson got his second assist of the game when David Novotny tried to get the puck from the corner to Wilson standing at the middle of the blue line.  Berkshire was able to get a stick on the pass but was not able to gather the puck.  Wilson took a shot that was deflected into the air, hit Baliotti in the chest and bounced onto Novotny’s stick who was skating to the front of the net; he buried his opportunity at the 5:10 mark.  

Williston got their third of the period on the power play when Tyler Varin got the puck on the left point and passed to his d-partner Will Tripp. Tripp skated to the middle of the ice and put a shot on Balliotti, who appeared screened in front.  The goal was the final straw for the Berkshire coaching staff who pulled Baliotti.  The game would remain 3-0 for the remainder of the period and for all of the second period.   

Berkshire finally got on the board in the third only to be answered by Shaul Mitton who received a pass from Varin sending him on a breakaway.  Mitton trucked down the right wing, approached Berkshire goalie Sam Woessner, and beat the junior on a backhand, top shelf.  Word on the street is that there was a monkey running out of the building and into the night as Mitton finally got him off his back, netting his first goal of the year.  The Williston faithful hope that this can get the Charlettetown, PEI senior on the right track from here on out.  Berkshire got a second goal with 1:50 left but that was all they could muster as Hagness closed out the game with an empty-netter.  The game puck went to Mitton for the game.  Trevor Corsello had a splendid afternoon in net making timely saves at important moments.  He finished the game with 43 saves.   

Williston has a three-game week coming up.  First, the Wildcats head to New England’s second-largest city and home of Polar Selzer on Wednesday afternoon against the Worcester Hilltoppers at 4 pm.  On Friday night, Williston is at Winchendon.  Then on Friday, Williston plays its first home game in the New Year and first in nine games when Berkshire comes to town for a 4:45 tilt.  Good seats are still available.  See you there! 

Wildcats Put Pieces Together, Defeat Saints, 3-2 

The Williston boy’s hockey team got off the schneid with a big roadwin at Canterbury on Wednesday afternoon, with a 3-2 decision over the Saints. 

Both clubs entered the game with a 1-8-1 record and looking to get on the winning side of things.  Williston started off the game like mad-men in the defensive zone with Zac Gmerek leading the charge; he would end the day with five blocked shots.  Canterbury scored first when a Canterbury defenseman hit a man in front that deflected errantly into goalie, Trevor Corsello, who could not corral the puck.  A Saint forward pounced on the rebound giving the Saints a 1-0 lead into the first break. 

In the second, and with Williston on the power play, Tyler Varin and William Tripp played catch at the blue line before Tripp sent a quick pass to a wide-open Tommy Harty in the slot who one-timed a low shot that beat Canterbury goalie Cal Skwara between the legs.  It was reminiscent of the captain’s two goals against Northwood a month earlier.  Williston and Canterbury traded opportunities but ended the period 1-1. 

In the third, Williston took the lead at the 2:40 mark of the period when David Novotny worked a puck to Tripp from the halfwall.  Trip zipped a quick pass to Varin at the right point who started to drive toward the net and with the patience of St. Stephen waited out a Canterbury defender who slid by looking to block a potential shot; the assistant captain continued toward the net and forced Skwara to drop putting the puck over his shoulder.  However, eight minutes later Canterbury scored on a one-timer from the blue line that beat Corsello.  The Williston bench was down but quickly pulled themselves up by the metaphorical boot straps and plodded along until less than two minutes later when Novotny got the puck to Jake Sacratini in the corner who skated toward the blue line and around the circle on his backhand, rounded the circletop, moved the puck to his forehand and slipped a quick shot under the arm of Skwara.  It was a dandy of a goal and put Williston up, 3-2, with just under five minutes remaining.   

At this point, Williston buckled up the defense and shut down Canterbury for the win.  Shots were 28-27, Canterbury.  Gmerek earned the game puck for his excellent and focused defense and willingness to block shots. 

Williston heads to Sheffield, MA on Saturday to take on the Berkshire Bears at 3:15.  If you’re making the trip, flip flops and Hawaiian shirts are encouraged due to the spring-like temps for the weekend.  Bring an umbrella though, the heavy stuffs gonna’ be coming down too. Till then. 

Holiday Break with the Wildcats 

On December 20th, the Williston boy’s hockey team loaded up the busses and headed to The St. Sebastian’s Holiday Tournament in Needham, MA for a late-night tilt against an already-seasoned Northwood team who came into the night having played close to thirty-five games.  Northwood would get on the board once in the first half of the game and early in the second half, but Williston turned things on to tie and then win it in a shootout, 3-2. 

For much of the first half, Williston stuck to its game plan and was only down 1-0 at the end of the period.  Northwood got on the board a little more than two minutes in the second period when a shot was taken from off a rush from just over the blueline that kissed the left post and careened in past Williston goalie, Trevor Corsello.  However, Williston’s power play was clicking as senior captain, Tommy Harty scored twice to even the game. 

The first came on the power play when Harty took a one-timer from David Novotny who was sitting on the right hash marks.  Harty found an opening on the far post past the Northwood goaltender.  Tyler Varin got the other assist.  The goal was scored at the 7:32 mark of the period.  Harty got his second of the game when he took a pass, again in the slot, and let a lazy lightening of a backhand shot go that looked to beat the Northwood goalie in the middle of the net, tying the game.  Both teams would trade chances but none would fall.  A fiveminute overtime yielded no victor, either. 

On to a shootout. 

Northwood shot first and Corsello thwarted the effort.   

Harty took the first shot for Williston and beat their goalie on deke to a backhand.     

Corsello stopped the next Northwood shooter. 

Novotny was the second shooter for Williston in the best of three shootout and he capitalized sending the Williston bench into jubilation.  They would play the late game the following day over a very strong St. Andrews Saints team from Toronto. 

The following day, Williston dropped a 6-1 decision to the Saints.  Novotny got the lone goal for Williston with assists to Sacratini and Varin.  Williston then faced St. Sebastian’s on Sunday for the thirdplace game and lost 4-1.  Connor Hagness scored with an assist from Sacratini. 

After the New Year, Williston reconvened back in Boston to take on Noble and Greenough School and, once again, St. Sebastian’s.  Williston was the home team against Nobles at St. Sebastian’s and started out the game by finishing the first period even at zero. 

In the second period, Williston got on the board just three minutes into the frame when Hagness drove into the zone and put a backhander on Nobles goalie, Marc Smith, from the bottom of the circle.  The odd-angle shot deflected at just about crossbar-height and Williston assistant captain and baseball extraordinaire, Matt Pimental batted in the rebound.  Then, a little over a minute later, Charles Monteith gathered a puck just inside the blue line and a fortuitous screen by Ryan Deschamps allowed the puck to beat Smith once again.  Things appeared to be going well for the Wildcats who dominated play.  However, bad penalties in the second and third period and four Nobles power play goals erased all hope for a Wildcat win and Nobles took the game 6-2.  Williston was outshot, 44-23, Corsello taking the loss. 

The next day Williston played St. Sebastian’s and took the loss, 5-1.  Connor Hagness got the lone goal when he ripped a shot that went bar-down to tie the game at one midway through the second stanza.  Shaul Mitton got the assist.  Williston hung close but eventually Sebs pulled away. Williston was outshot in this game 46-20, while Emile Savoie took the loss.   

Williston has struggled out of the gate, but with the strength-of schedule that the Wildcats play has only helped to season them as they begin the next two-thirds of their schedule in the New Year.  Williston is on the road again for the next four games with the next game this Wednesday at 3:30 at Canterbury.  Both teams have identical records and are looking for their second win of the season and a chance to go on a run.  See you in New Milford! 

Penguins Trip Up Wildcat’s Late-Game Surge; Williston Garners First Win Versus ASL; Highlanders Keep Wildcats in the Lowlands 


The Cushing Penguins continued to have Wililston’s number, defeating the Wildcats 4-3 on Wednesday afternoon.  Williston pulled out all the stops in the second and much of the third period but could not secure a win or tie on the day.

Cushing jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period that led the Williston coaching staff shaking its collective heads.  Williston had a game plan and stuck to it quite well but Cushing took advantage of its chances, while Williston just couldn’t find the back of the net, even after a hitting-from-behind penalty that cost a Cushing player some time—five minutes.  Still, the Williston team felt like they had some jam and could get things going in the second.

After the break, Williston entered the period on a mission.  There was an energy and power that had been lacking from the club and they got right to work by methodically putting pressure on the Cushing defense, hemming them into their own zone for much of the period.  At around the ten-minute mark, Williston went on its second 5-minute power play and capitalized early.  The first goal was scored when Shaul Mitton (Charlottetown, PEI) worked a puck to Jake Sacratini in the left corner of the Cushing zone.  Sacratini fired a pass across the low slot to a wide-open David Novotny who buried the puck past Cushing freshman goalie, Jackson Irving.

Before the echoes from the cheers could die down, and still nursing the five-minute power play, sophomore Connor Hagness (Guilford, CT)drove down the right lane into the Cushing zone and let a shot ride that was saved by Irving but that was buried by new sophomore Ryan Deschamps (Burriville, RI).  With a fire on the mountain, the Wildcats continued working to even the score.  Yet even with the momentum in their favor, they still trailed at the end of the period.

Cushing was able to take a two-goal lead in the third period on a two-on-one just 1:48 into the period.  Williston continued to battle and with the goalie pulled, heavy pressure, and just under two minutes remaining in the game, Sacratini buried a puck on the near side to pull within one; however the fourth goal would never come to fruition and Williston took the loss, 4-3.

Williston outshot Cushing, 42-34.


On Friday night, Academie St-Louis rolled into town to take on Williston.  Williston got out to a 2-0 lead in the first and never looked back.

The Wildcats got on the board just 1:52 into the game when Shaul Mitton took a shot from the slot that missed the net sending a puck curtailing into the corner and up the boards to a down-charging Hunter Wilson who, from the right hash marks, let a wrister go that landed on the stick of Ryan Deschamps two feet above the crease; Deschamps buried the pass past Sameul Clausiau.  Williston got its second in the period when Alex Latkovski worked a pass in the neutral zone back to defenseman Roscoe Eade (Catonsville, MD) who skied a puck over center ice to a streaking Rich Stefanik (Whitehouse Station, NJ).  Stefanik broke into the zone on a break-away and made a nifty backhand to forehand move that beat Clausiau.

In the second, ASL got its first goal of the period on a 3-1.  However, every silver lining has a touch of gray, and any hopes to draw even were dashed when David Novotny intercepted a pass in the offensive zone and found Captain Tommy Harty (Billerica, MA) streaking to the net.  His initial shot didn’t go but his quick stick on the rebound slid the puck between the legs of the ASL goalie. David Novotny put the Wildcats up two goals when Will Gaca (Durham, NC) made a textbook regroup pass to Assistant Captain Tyler Varin (Smithfield, RI) who then hit number ten splitting the ASL d.  Novotny broke in and beat Clausiau with some silky moves.

Connor Hagness got his first goal of the year when, off a face-off, he took a cross-ice feed from Mitchell Hansen that was initially stopped. However, he kept after his rebound, circled behind the net and wrapped it in past Clausiau.  This would be the final goal of the game giving Williston a 5-1 win.  Trevor Corsello was excellent in the game making 24 saves.  Williston had 52 shots on net.


The following evening, Williston traveled to Washington, CT to take on Gunnery.  Williston got on the board about midway into the second when William Tripp (Lakeville, MA) collected an errant puck at the blue line as Gunnery was looking to break out and made a pass to Tommy Harty.  Number eight drove to the net and put a pass to the far post that was tipped by Alex Latkovski and saved by Gunnery goalie, Carmine Andranovich, however Tripp attacked the net and batted the rebound in.

Gunnery tied the game at the 12:27 mark.  In the third, they scored three unanswered goals and the Wildcats lost, 4-1.  The ‘Cats boarded the bus and headed down the road feelin’ bad.  Nothing else to say.


The Wildcats are off this Wednesday afternoon as they prepare to head to the St. Sebastian’s Holiday Tournament in Needham, MA.  Williston gets the 8 o’clock game on Friday as they take on Lake Placid, NY’s Northwood School.

Three-Peat Not in the Cards for Wildcats

The Williston boy’s hockey team kicked off its 2019-2020 season on Wednesday against the Avon Old Farms Winged Beavers.  The Wildcats looked to take their third straight opener from Avon but it was not to be as the boys from Connecticut took the game, 4-2.

Things looked like they were going to get off to a great start as Williston buried its first shot on net when junior David Novotny of Boca Raton, Florida made a pass to a wide-open Jake Sacratini—a senior from Montreal, Quebec—beating Connor Callaghan over the blocker.  Avon  tied it up five minutes later and then took the lead at the 17:01 mark of the first period, first beating senior goalie, Trevor Corsello (Selden, NY) off a rebound and then on a hard wrist shot across the grain on a one-on-one.  Truth be told, Williston was caught in slow motion in a dash for the door and Avon took it to them in the first period. It was Corsello who pulled out as many stops as he could making nineteen saves including a diving, cross-crease save that brought the fans of Lossone Arena to its feet.

Avon would get two goals in the second period but were met by a much grittier Williston team who had many opportunities but couldn’t finish.  The period ended, 4-1.

Williston began to find its ways even more in the third and finally got on the board for their second of the game when junior Alex Latkovski from Westmount, Quebec made a pass to senior Matt Pimental (East Providence, Rhode Island) who stepped over the blue line and let a low rocket go beating Callaghan again.  Williston would get a few power plays in the third, including a 5×3 and a 6×5 at the end of the game but could not finish.  When the horn sounded after fifty-four minutes, Avon had taken the game, 4-2.

Shots in the game were 34 for Avon and 18 for Williston.

Williston heads to northwestern Connecticut on Saturday evening for a foray with the NEPSAC Open Division runners-up, the Salisbury Scarlet Knights at 5:00 in Salisbury, Connecticut.