Wildcats Lose 2nd Straight, Fall to Millbrook

by Team Reporter-Nate Gordon

For the second straight game, Williston Boys Hockey gave up six goals in the game and were outscored in the final period. On Wednesday, January 22nd, the Wildcats began the third period with a 4-3 lead, but were eventually defeated by Millbrook (13-8-1) 6-5.

After the game, Head Coach Derek Cunha said that what was most disappointing was that, “We scored five goals on the road and still lost.”

Just under four minutes into the final eighteen minutes, Millbrook tied the game at 4-4. Less than two minutes later, junior defenseman Jo Labreque took a slap shot from the top of the left circle (facing the goal) and the puck found its way to the top right corner of the goal. This gave Williston a 5-4 lead.

After the game, Labreque said, “We gotta play more solid defensively, it all starts there. We just got to pick it up there, that’s what we gotta do.”

With 6:21 to play, the Mustangs tied the game at 5. Then, with 3:28 to play in the game, Millbrook took a 6-5 lead. The Wildcats did have control of the puck in the final 2:32, but were unable to capitalize, and eventually the buzzer the sounded.

Williston first got on the board when junior forward Rourke Ferguson gave Williston a 1-0 lead with just over eight minutes to play in the first period. The goal was assisted by junior defenseman Chris Dumont and junior forward Brandon Borges. But two minutes later, the Mustangs tied the game at 1-1.

Borges gave the Wildcats the lead three minutes into the second period. Senior forward Max Willman had the assist on the play. Then, three minutes later, on the power-play, Millbrook tied the game. The Mustangs then took a 3-2 lead two minutes later.

The Wildcats responded with two goals within a two minute span. The first was scored by junior forward Will Flynn and assisted by senior defenseman Seth Cupak and junior defenseman Chris Dumont came 11:51 into the period. The second, exactly two minutes later, was scored by Scroggins and assisted by Willman and Ferguson. This goal gave the Wildcats a 4-3 advantage.

This is just the second time this season Williston has lost two consecutive games.

Junior forward Brandon Bork exited the game after just one shift due to a broken skate blade.

After the game, Millbrook Head Coach Vincent Sorriento said, “We were lucky, we got the last bounce, that game could have gone either way.” He added, “We’ve had a rough stretch since we’ve been back from [the holiday] break. Tonight was the first night in a while where we had a lot of energy, our forecheck was really good. I’m just proud that they came back from a goal down a couple times and they just kept going. That’s probably our best win of the year so far.”

On Saturday, January 25th, Williston will be looking to redeem itself when it takes on Albany Academy (6-8-3) at home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.