Wildcats Pull Ahead at End, End Losing Skid

by Team Reporter Nate Gordon ’16

Down by one goal with just over six minutes to play against Northwood (1-3), Williston Boys Hockey (2-5-0) changed the course of the game and its season with four unanswered goals.

This game broke the team’s five game losing streak, which started back on December 3rd versus Kimball Union.

After the game, senior forward Jack Gethings said, “We were moving the puck well. We were making simple plays. We wanted to win, badly. After a losing streak, [this win] definitely puts everyone in better spirits. We definitely look forward to winning the next one.”

Northwood took a 1-0 lead midway through the first half, but sophomore forward and the team’s leading scorer with five goals, Nick Schofield, tied the game 2:29 before halftime.

Northwood took a 2-1 lead seven minutes into the second half, but Williston’s offense took over after that.

At 6:04 of the second half, senior defenseman Chris Dumont forced the puck into the net from a very odd angle near the goal line to tie the game at two.

Williston Head Coach Derek Cunha said about this goal, “It was one of the breaks that we probably haven’t gotten in a while. Every once in a while you need a good break to change course.

Just over one minute later, senior forward Jack Gethings gave the Wildcats a 3-2 lead when he fired a shot from just outside the face off circle.

Coach Cunha said about how this goal affected the team: “Once that happened, our energy went through the roof.”

Sophomore JoJo Carbone gave the Wildcats an insurance goal with four minutes remaining. This was Carbone’s first goal in a Williston uniform. Junior Jack Kelly scored an open net goal with 1:13 on the clock to seal the win.

Shane Mason ’16 made his sixth start in net for Williston. After a few tough starts against some of the top teams in New England, Mason got into a rhythm, displaying why he is the team’s starter. He stopped thirty of thirty-two shots. Northwood put continuous pressure on Williston’s defense in the second half, but Mason didn’t allow the opponent to ever get a two goal lead.

Mason said after the game, “We started the season off pretty well with a win over Canterbury, then it kind of went downhill after that. But its really good to finally [win again] and hopefully set the tone for the rest of the season.”

This game was part of the St. Sebastian’s Holiday Tournament. Tomorrow, the Wildcats will take on Winchendon (3-4-2) at 11 a.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *