Wildcats Drop Important Game, But Postseason Could Still Be in Reach

by Team Reporter Nate Gordon ’16

Midway through the first period, Williston Boys Hockey (12-10-2) held a 2-0 lead over visiting Albany Academy (15-11-2). But in the last 6:30 of the period, Albany scored three goals and the game was tied at three going into the second period. The Cadets scored two goals in the second, while the Wildcats only got one. Williston had eighteen minutes to be victorious in a game that had serious postseason implications.

The final period started well for the Wildcats controlling play in their offensive zone. With 11:28 to play, senior forward Tyler Scroggins tied the game at five and the Wildcats gained momentum.  In a game with sixteen penalties, it could be predicted that one of the teams would be sent to the box near the end of the game. With 4:29 to play, two Wildcats were sent to the box along with a Cadet. With a five-on-four man advantage, Albany scored a power play goal to take a 6-5 lead with just 3:53 remaining for the Wildcats to respond. Despite being on the power play for the last 1:53, Williston would drop its second straight home game.

The Wildcats turned the puck over numerous times. Albany scored its second goal shorthanded on a breakaway off a Williston turnover in its offensive zone.

In the locker room after the game, Williston senior captain Rourke Ferguson told the team, “In the end, we win our games, we lose our games.

Head Coach Mr. Derek Cunha told the Wildcats, “Now it comes do or die. Now it becomes, we need [to win] Friday… Offensive, we were clicking, our power play was going, I thought our lines were going. There was some good chemistry that was happening out there. But we fell short.”

Williston sophomore forward Nick Schofield recorded three assists and scored the team’s third goal in this game. Both senior forwards Brandon Bork and Tyler Scroggins assisted two goals today, with Scroggins scoring one, as well.

Albany’s two leading scorers, junior Kevin O’Neil and senior Nick Boyagian helped produce four of their team’s six goals. O’Neill scored two to bring his team-leading point total to 53.

In these teams’ previous game at Albany on January 31st, the Wildcats prevailed 4-3.

With just two games remaining, every game carries the weight of deciding which teams will make the playoffs. While the Wildcats may need some luck, the team’s postseason hopes are still alive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.