Williston Takes Down Brunswick, Westminster

It looks like a nice series is beginning to brew between the Williston Wildcats and the Brunswick Bruins.  The match-up was orchestrated by Williston trustee and current Brunswick faculty member John Booth—Williston class of ’83–last year in Greenwich with the host Bruins taking the game 5-3.  This year, Williston evened the series, winning 1-0.

The teams were deadlocked at zeroes for two full periods with both clubs battling hard.  It wasn’t until the 13:04 mark of the third period when sophomore Kevin Lassman broke the tie with a high shot from the left point that beat Bruin goalie Strauss Mann over the left should with a bevy of blue and white jerseys in front of him.

Xander Rogers earned the win making 22 saves.  Mann saved 34 shots in the loss.


On Monday afternoon, Williston took a fifty-minute jaunt down Route 10 to the Westminster School for a five o’clock tilt with the Martlets.  Williston was able to take down their Connecticut foe 3-2 in overtime but not before losing their senior captain, Nick Schofield, to injury.

Williston got on the board quickly when junior Billy Smith took a Brendan Hansen pass and beat Westminster goalie Kai Edmonds past his glove at the :51 second mark.  However, just six minutes later, Schofield took the puck up the left wall in the neutral zone and dumped the puck deep.  Feeling pressure, he turned to avoid a hit but an oncoming Martlet defensemen could not slow up his momentum and slammed Schofield into the boards.  He lay on the ice for some forty minutes as the Westminster trainer and doctor assessed the fallen player and waited for an ambulance.  Nick was taken to St. Francis Hospital for a CT scan and MRI.  Both were negative.

With emotions running high for both teams, the players took the ice to finish the remainder of the period.  After failing to score on a 5-minute misconduct for the Schofield hit, Westminster went on the power play and was able to knot the score at one at the 9:42 mark.  Then, just seven minutes later, they capitalized again on the power play and went to the dressing room up 2-1.

In the second period, Williston was able to even up the game when sophomore Tim Rego let a blast go on the power play that beat Edmonds between the pads.  Assists were awarded to senior JoJo Carbone and Lassman.  The rest of the game was a back-and-forth contest with neither team being able to solve the others’ goaltender.  Overtime would be needed once again for Williston and the hero for the boys in blue and green would be Rego once again.  With just over two minutes left, Westminster dumped the puck into the Williston end where Connor Power got the puck to a waiting Sam Milnes who took the it up the right wall.  As he crossed into the Westminster end, Milnes made a tape-to-tape pass to Rego who was the high trailer who buried the puck putting Williston up, 3-2 for the win.

For Williston, this was their third win in row and second overtime win in three games putting them at .500 for the season.  Xander Rogers earned the win kicking out 31/33 saves.

The Wildcats take on the Loomis Chaffee Pelicans on Wednesday at 4:45 at Lossone.  Be there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.