Williston Takes 3rd in St. Sebastian’s Holiday Tournament

Williston headed east last Friday for a three-day tournament at St. Sebastian’s School in Needham, MA.  The Wildcats drew the 8 o’clock pm game against a young but talented St. Andrews club from Toronto, Ontario.

Williston got on the board in the first half of the game when centerman Brendan Hansen won a draw in the offensive zone to Sam Milnes who touched the puck to Kevin Lassman.  Lassman let a rip go from the right point.  With a bevy of players in front of the net, St. Andrews goaltender, Aidan Hosein was screened the entire way and could not make the save.  The ‘Cats took a 1-0 lead into the dressing room.

The second half saw Williston add to their lead at the 8:14 mark when David Novotny tipped in a shot from defenseman Alex Berg with an assist from Sam Milnes.  St. Andrews would pull within one but that margin would last for less than a minute as Sam Milnes scored on a power move down the left side of the ice, driving across the crease and slipping the puck past the outstretched St. Andrews goalie for a man-down goal.  Brandon McGill got Williston’s fourth goal when he drove down the right side and went thin mints, top shelf, beating the goaltender on the near post over the shoulder.  Lassman added the clincher on an empty net goal from near his own goal line on an assist from Hansen.  St. Andrews would pull to within three with about a minute to go but Williston took game one of the tournament and earned the late game on Saturday.  Williston outshot St. Andrews 31-23.  Xander Rogers made 21 saves.

Williston played Rivers School on Saturday and never got things going dropping the tilt, 4-0.

The next day, Williston played the Winchendon School in the consolation game in the tournament.  Greg Iverson got the nod for this game and he brought it.  Williston came out of the gate with angst and outplayed the Wapitis for much of the period.  That said, Winchendon would get on the board first on a goal off a faceoff.  The lead would be short lived as Brandon McGill would let a rip go from the blue line that deflected off of a Winch defenseman.  It appeared as if sophomore Ethan Agostoni would also screen the Wapitis goaltender as well.  Logan Geisness earned the assist.  Winchendon got its second goal half when a winger hit his centerman at the red line sending him in on a breakaway and beating Iverson on a backhand over the glove.  Winchendon went into the half with a 2-1 lead.

Williston started the second half on the penalty kill and worked hard for the minute and change left on the Winch power play.  Cam Mariani later knotted the score at twos when he took a pass in the slot from Kevin Lassman and beat the Winch goalie.  The remainder of the period and a five minute overtime could not solve the tie and a shootout was needed.  In the 5th Round, Kevin Lassman scored the deciding goal on a nifty shot over the goalie’s glove.  Iverson would save the rebuttal and Williston took the game.  Iverson made 30 saves on the night. Though the Wildcats went 2-1 in the tournament, officially, they went 1-1-1 for the weekend since shootout outcomes are not included in overall records.  Williston will meet Winchendon two more times this season in what promises to be good battles.

Williston is off until December 29th when they take on Nobles at 1:15 at St. Sebastians, and then the 30th when they play St. Sebs at Nobles at 2:15.  As I begin to pack the sleigh for the land of Kodak and Garbage Plates, I want to wish you all Happy Holidays with your and your family.  See you back in Boston!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.