Williston loses to Millbrook; Upends Canterbury in OT


The Williston hockey team dropped its fourth straight game when it lost to Millbrook 5-3 last Saturday afternoon.  However, with a change in the game plan, some tenacious play, and a hat trick by captain Sam Milnes, Williston was able to defeat the Canterbury Saints, 4-3 in overtime on Wednesday afternoon.

When Millbrook came to town on Saturday, they were riding a three game win-streak and it looked like early on, they were about to take it to the Wildcats when they scored on the power play at the 6:19 mark of the first period after a sluggish start by the home team.  They took a 1-0 lead into the dressing room after one.

In the second, Brendan Hansen was able to capitalize on the power play when Logan Geisness corralled a pass from Tim Rego and broke into the Millbrook zone down the left side.  Geisness then made a tape-to-tape pass to a streaking Hansen who had an open net.  With increased pressure, David Novotny made it 2-1 at the 5:24 mark of the period and things looked like they were rolling for the ‘Cats.  James Belleavoine got the assist.  Unfortunately penalties cost Williston as Millbrook scored on a 5×4 and then on a penalty shot while Williston was on the power play.  Millbrook went up 4-2 at the 16:54 mark when a loose puck out front was banged home.

Williston let up another goal at the beginning of the third to go down 5-2.  At the 4:41 mark, Billy Smith found Cam Mariani in front of the net who was able to power in a goal, however that would be all the scoring for the day.  Williston was outshot, 31-26.

Yesterday, the Canterbury Saints came marching in looking to sweep the season series but the Wildcats were ready for the task.

Williston began the period with gusto controlling much of the play and outshooting Canterbury, 12-3.  Sam Milnes got Williston on the board at the 7:34 mark of the period when he took a pass from Logan Geisness, streaked down the right boards, and let a shot go from the circle tops that beat the Saint’s goalie far side.  Zach Riccitelli would answer the call on a short-handed goal at the 15:48 mark of the period.  The teams would go into the dressing room knotted at one.

In the second period, Williston continued to dominate play for much of the period outshooting Canterbury 13-3 but neither team could find the net.

In the third, the goals started coming.  Canterbury got on the board first on a shot from the slot.  Williston’s Sam Milnes answered on the doorstep after a low blistering shot was released by Alex Berg, knocked around by Logan Geisness, and eventually buried by Milnes for his second of the game.  Williston went up 3-2 just over a minute later when Kyle Caddo took a shot and Ethan Agostoni buried a rebound.  Connor Power got the other assist.  Then, at the 16:38 mark and with the goalie pulled, Canterbury tied the game on a shot off a draw that beat Williston goalie Greg Iverson.  Following the goal, Williston would face more adversity as they were called for an interference call giving the Saints even more momentum. Down, on the penalty kill, but not defeated, Williston went to overtime.

In the overtime frame, Williston killed the Saint’s penalty and at the 2:33 mark and off a Brendan Hansen faceoff win, Sam Milnes buried a laser past a screened Canterbury goalie.  Players’ arms went up, mammas’ tears came down, and Williston snapped a four-game losing streak.

Williston outshot Canterbury 41-21, with Iverson getting the win.  Game puck went to Sam Milnes for his hat trick.

On Friday night Williston plays Deerfield at Eaglebrook at 6pm.  Be there. (But if you can’t, you can check it out at: https://deerfield.edu/athletics/events/2018/02/hockey-boys-varsity-vs-williston/10251371/)


Williston Drops Two Games to Connecticut Foes

Last week, Williston dropped a pair of games to NEPSAC rivals Westminster and Loomis Chaffee.  While the Wildcats played hard, they were unable to secure the win losing the first contest 4-1 and the second 2-1.

On Monday, January 29th, Westminster rolled into the Lossone Ice Palace ranked in the top ten and looking to avenge an overtime loss from the year before.  The game began with great pace and both teams battled hard in the first period.  Williston got on the board first when Billy Smith screamed down the left wall and let a rip go from the tops of the circle.  The Westminster goalie made the save but Wisco-native Logan Geisness, in a you-can’t-draw-this-up-any-better play, slammed home the rebound giving Williston a 1-0 lead at the end of the first.

In the second, Westminster got on the board when Williston failed to get the puck deep and tied the game a few moments later.

In the final frame, with the score tied 1-1, Westminster got the eventual game winner on a shot from the circle tops that beat goalie Xander Rogers.  A few minutes later, Westminster scored again to make it 3-1.  Westy would get an empty netter to seal the deal for the Martlets.  Williston was outshot in the game 26-25.

On Wednesday, Williston loaded up the coach bus and headed to Loomis Chaffee.  Greg Iverson got the start.

The first period saw Williston get down early when a fortuitous bounce behind the net and a quick pass to the slot put Loomis up 1-0.  Then, just over a minute later and on the power play, Loomis went up 2-0 when a Loomis player stepped up from out of the corner and beat Iverson over the shoulder.  Williston, however, would not go down without swinging.  Two minutes later, defensemen Tim Rego joined a Williston rush, picked up a loose puck on the side of the net, cut hard across the crease and was able slide the puck past the outstretched leg of the Loomis goalie.  Unfortunately that would be all the scoring in the game.  Williston battled hard and carried the play for much of the game but struggled to generate any grade-A scoring chances.  Shots were 25-22 in favor of Williston.

Williston welcomes the Millbrook Mustangs this Saturday at 4 pm at Lossone for what looks to be a battle.  Williston took the first game against Millbrook 4-3 in overtime and the Mustangs are seeking payback.  Good seats are still available.

Also, after the boy’s game the Williston girls will have their annual Pink the Rink game against Andover starting at 6.  Bring your money for baked goods and a raffle with excellent prizes.  See you there!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *