The Williston Junior School was a semi-autonomous branch of Williston Seminary and Williston Academy, offering a boarding program for students in grades 5-8. Founded in 1918, it shared facilities with the Upper School, but had its own Headmaster and faculty. Originally operating out of Payson Hall on the Old Campus, it eventually relocated to four buildings on Main Street. Present-day alumni will recognize the “Main St. Quadrangle,” or Clare House, Swan Cottage, Conant House (a.k.a. Williston Cottage), and Sawyer House.
We’ve reproduced a Junior School viewbook from 1944 – largely without comment, because the often charming images speak for themselves. It was a different time. (Copies of the viewbook are from donations by Ellis Baker ’51 and Peter Stevens ’60) Please click on any image to enlarge it.Continue reading →
Dwight Whitney Learned (1848-1943), a native of Canturbury, Connecticut, graduated Williston Seminary in 1866 and Yale, B.A. 1870, Ph.D. 1873. He was a grand-nephew of Samuel Williston, his grandmother having been Samuel’s sister Sarah; that may have explained his choice of Williston to prepare for college. Following Yale, he taught Greek and mathematics at Thayer College in Kidder, Missouri, for two years, where he was ordained in the Congregational ministry. In 1875, under the banner of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, he went to Japan, where for 53 years he was professor of church history and theology at Doshisha University in Kyoto. He published extensively in both Japanese and English, and contributed to a Japanese translation of the New Testament. Upon his retirement in 1928, he was honored by the Emperor. He settled in Claremont, California, where he continued to preach and write.
In 1941, as the centennial of Williston’s founding approached, Learned sent a typed memoir to centennial organizer Herbert B. Howe, class of 1905. As he points out, aged 92, he must have been among the oldest living alumni. Learned’s pages are reproduced here, with only a few annotations. They are an interesting window into student life during and after the Civil War, and even touch on the Confederate surrender and Lincoln’s assassination. It must also be noted that Learned’s recollections of Williston academic life, while amusing, are not altogether complimentary. (To enlarge any image, please click on it.)
Marshall Henshaw served as Principal from 1863-1876. Both respected and feared by his students, of him Joseph Sawyer once wrote that “a botched translation was highway murder.” Williston Seminary had been coeducational until 1864, when Samuel Williston constructed a new public high school for Easthampton. The faculty mentioned by Learned, Amherst graduates all, were young men when they taught at Williston: Francis A. Walker became an eminent economist; Henry Goodell ’58 the founding President of Massachusetts Agricultural College; Charles M. Lamson ’60 and Thomas Smith important figures on the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. Classicist Henry Mather Tyler ’61 taught at Knox and Smith Colleges, and wrote an important history of the latter; while Marquis F. Dickinson ’58 became a distinguished attorney and, coincidentally, Samuel Williston’s son-in-law.
It is surprising to learn that in days of cleaner air and lower buildings, one could see Amherst college, eleven miles distant, from an upper story in Easthampton. Williston students attended services at the Payson Church, next to the campus.
Adelphi was the Seminary’s debating and literary society. Its rival, Gamma Sigma, had not yet been founded.
If, presumably, Learned is evoking the Confederate surrender at Appomattox, then he has misremembered the date, April 9, 1865 – although General Grant had indeed written Robert E. Lee on the seventh, offering to discuss terms of surrender.
Happy New Year from the Williston Northampton Archives!
The Archives hold several sets of a portfolio entitled East Hampton Illustrated, containing 32 lithotype photographs of Easthampton. Many are images of Williston Seminary and of buildings associated with Samuel Williston or his business partners; the balance are of other Easthampton landmarks, most of them industrial.
The set was published by the Linotype Printing Co., 114 Nassau St., New York, and is undated. Most antiquarian booksellers date the portfolio ca. 1900, but all of the photographs are older. The catalog of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Library in Williamstown, MA dates the collection ca. 1880. Information in some of the photo captions, noted below, suggests that the album appeared after 1881 and no later than 1895. Thus, we estimate the publication date as ca. 1890.
No. 1: View of Easthampton from Adams Street, Looking North
The vantage point is near the intersection of Adams and Liberty Streets, more specifically looking northwest. In the distance are the spires of the Payson (Easthampton Congregational) and Methodist Churches (a different structure than the present day former church housing the Young World Childcare Center), the Town Hall, and the Williston Seminary gymnasium. The reach from the Nashawannuck spillway to the Lower Mill Pond is visible in the foreground. The area today is heavily wooded.
Incidentally, for this article we have, perhaps, broken a rule. The reproduced images have been adjusted to mitigate yellowing and fading, so that their appearance better approaches their original state – which, admittedly, we can only conjecture. As always, you may click on the photographs to enlarge them.
No. 2: Williston Seminary
A view of the original Williston Seminary campus on Main Street. Union Street is to the right; the split rail fence surrounds the Payson Church – the present-day Easthampton Congregational Church. The three main campus buildings, from the foreground back, were, with an appalling lack of creativity, named South, Middle, and North Halls, The gymnasium tower is visible behind South Hall, and one can make out the First Congregational Church (1836; see “The Congregational Church in Easthampton History”) in the distance, at the end of Main Street.
No. 3: General View of Williston Seminary
This unusual view from across Union Street, near the side entrance to the Payson Church, shows South, Middle, and North Halls, with the Principal’s House, still standing at the corner of Pleasant Street and recently renovated, in the right distance. (Despite the name, from 1849 forward the Principals resided elsewhere.) The Gymnasium, with its distinctive tower, is at right. Close examination of the photo shows a baseball game in progress.
North, Middle, and South Halls, and the Gymnasium were demolished in or shortly after 1952, after Williston Academy consolidated operations on the present Park Street/Payson Avenue campus. Continue reading →
Consider why people keep scrapbooks. Are a they a repository for the ephemera of one’s life, souvenirs of things that seemed important at the time? If so, then they can be unique windows into individuals’ lives, in a particular place, at a particular time.
Among the many student scrapbooks and albums held by the Williston Northampton Archives, that of George Wardman, class of 1889, is among the older and more comprehensive.
George Benjamin Wardman entered Williston in the fall of 1885, as a member of the class of 1888. Born in Cheyenne, WY, April 20, 1869, he was a resident of New Orleans, LA, according to the 1886 Annual Catalogue. How he found his way from the deep South to Easthampton is not known. To further confuse matters, his academic transcript, in contradiction to the Catalogue, claims he resided in Pittsburgh. In any event, he arrived in the fall of 1885, bringing with him a leather scrapbook.
The book, now in fragile condition, measures 12 x 9 inches, bound in buckram-covered boards with a leather spine. Inside the front flyleaf is a penciled inscription: “George Wardman. Christmas 1884. Mama.” George appears to have saved the book for something special; he did not begin adding to it until the winter of 1886. The first pages contain a pasted collage of items from the 1886 Annual Catalogue, including a rosters of the faculty and George’s classmates, his first year curriculum in the Scientific Department, and what must have been the major news of the time, the appointment of a new Principal.
Here are the results of George’s entrance exams, assigning him to the Junior Middle class (“J.M.,” equivalent to the 10th grade) and initialed by Acting Principal Joseph Henry Sawyer. Note how items have been sewn into the scrapbook with gold ribbon. George eventually became less fastidious about this; later items were often simply tucked between pages, without sewing or the use of oxidation-prone glue. Ironically, this has aided in their long-term preservation. As was customary in most schools and colleges at the time, students’ physical measurements were recorded. George’s vital statistics indicate that he was smaller than average, standing 5’3″ and weighing 102 pounds.Continue reading →