Dr. Bethia S. Currie died peacefully at the Sharon Health Care Center on July 3, 2013, after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease. She was born in Meriden, Conn., in 1922, but had lived in Cornwall since 1955.
She attended Northampton School for Girls and Vassar College, graduating cum laude in 1943 with a degree in English literature. She taught briefly at Pratt Institute in New York City before marrying and starting a family. In the 1960s she attended the New School for Social Research, studying philosophy and political science. She obtained a masters in philosophy in 1970 and her doctorate in 1971 and served as a graduate assistant teacher. She went on to teach philosophy and comparative religion at the University of Connecticut in Torrington as an assistant professor until her retirement in the mid 1980s.
A longtime resident of the Northwest Corner, she will be remembered for her commitment to politics, education, environmental protection and animal welfare, as well as her love of music. Her philanthropy over the years has touched many individuals, as well as institutions. A lifetime Democrat, she served on various local and state committees, and was a generous contributor to numerous causes both locally and globally. She was an avid singer, pianist and woodwind player, who performed at local churches and concerts for many years, and was a longtime supporter of the Cornwall Music School.
In the 1970s she donated and endowed the John B. Currie Sanctuary in Kent, dedicated to the memory of her late husband, who shared her love of nature.
She is survived by a son, Matthew Currie a daughter-in-law, Lourdes PiquT four grandchildren, Andrea Currie, Jason Currie, David Currie and Nathaniel Smith a brother, David L. Smith as well as numerous nephews and nieces. She was predeceased by her husband, Dr. John. B. Currie, in 1973 her daughter, Mary Ellin Furlonger, in 1976 and a brother, Edward R. Smith, in 1978.
In lieu of flowers, a contribution in her honor may be made to the Housatonic Valley Association or the Little Guild of St. Francis”